Farmers who suffered losses of livestock due to the recent storms and flooding in Kentucky are reminded that they have 30 days after the livestock loss was apparent to submit a notice of loss with their local Farm Service Agency office.

The notice of loss is the first step toward applying for partial reimbursement under the Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP).

“My thoughts and prayers are with all the Kentucky farmers who lost livestock and property as a result of the recent inclement weather,” Agriculture Commissioner Richie Farmer said. “USDA has programs to help farmers with disaster losses get back on their feet. Farmers with weather-related losses should contact their local Farm Service Agency office right away.”

The Livestock Indemnity Program provides benefits to livestock producers for livestock deaths in excess of normal mortality caused by floods, other adverse weather events, extreme heat, and extreme cold. The livestock do not have to be located in a county or contiguous county designated a natural disaster by the president or agriculture secretary for the producer to be eligible for benefits.

USDA bases the LIP national payment rate for eligible livestock owners on 75 percent of the average fair market value of the livestock.

USDA bases the LIP national payment rate for eligible livestock contract growers on 75 percent of the average income loss sustained by the contract grower as a result of the death of the livestock. The contract grower’s LIP payment is reduced by the amount the contractor pays for the loss of income suffered from the death of livestock under contract.

Other FSA disaster programs include the Emergency Conservation Program (ECP), the Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees and Farm-Raised Fish Program (ELAP), the Noninsured Disaster Assistance Program (NAP), and the Supplemental Revenue Assistance Payments Program (SURE).

FSA advises federal crop insurance policyholders to notify their crop insurance companies as soon as they discover their land is flooded.

To find out what documentation is required when applying for reimbursement under LIP, and for more information on LIP and other FSA programs, go to, call the Kentucky FSA office at (859) 224-7601, or call or visit your local FSA office.