What is in this article?:
- Superior genetics continue to boost US peanut production
- New peanut cultivars showing great promise
- Superior genetics continue to boost U.S. peanut yields, even in less-than-ideal weather conditions.
- The majority of Southeastern peanut acreage is expected to be planted in the Georgia-06G cultivar again in 2014.
- Several new peanut cultivars in the research pipeline show great promise.
U.S. PEANUT PRODUCTION has benefited tremendously in recent years from genetic improvements made in cultivars.
New peanut cultivars showing great promise
While peanut growers in the Southeast have come to rely on the Tifguard cultivar for fields with peanut root-knot nematode problems, there might not be as much seed available for 2014, says Beasley.
“Anyone who has peanut root-knot nematode is probably familiar with Tifguard. It has what has been described as near immunity – not just resistance to root-knot nematode but near immunity. But there has become an issue, and the seed supply is contaminated.
“The registered certified seed supply is showing about 70 percent with the near immunity gene and the remaining 30 percent is not immune. They’ve gone back to the Foundation seed in Georgia, and it tested at 90 percent near immunity. The breeder seed tested 100 percent, so they’re kind of going back to square one on Tifguard. All of this means that there might not be as much Tifguard available as we’d like for there to be. Generally, it is a cultivar that goes in peanut root-knot nematode- invested fields. Otherwise, it doesn’t compete with Georgia-06G and some of these other varieties as far as yield and grade.”
A few new peanut cultivars are showing great promise, says Beasley. “Georgia-12Y was just released in 2012, and we did a fair amount of testing with it this past year. It is blowing the doors off of Georgia-06G, if you can imagine that. Other researchers agree that Georgia-12Y is the real deal, showing good resistance against tomato spotted wilt virus and white mold.
“According to University of Georgia peanut breeder Bill Branch, it does grade out 1 to 2 percentage points less than Georgia-06G. But peanut producers have consistently been seeing grades in the upper 70s with Georgia-06G, so grading 1 or 2 percentage points less still gives you better grades than what Florunner gave us. Every 1 percentage point represents a value of about $5, but the yield potential on Georgia-12Y is phenomenal.”
There’s only enough Foundation seed supply to plant about 2,200 to 2,400 acres of Georgia-12Y in 2014, says Beasley.
“The University of Florida has just started the Foundation seed increase for TUFRunner, and it’s a high-oleic variety. Branch at Georgia is releasing Georgia-13M, which he believes is the highest yielding cultivar he has ever released.”