The National Corn Growers Association has extended its deadline for entries in the 2008 National Corn Yield Contest to Aug. 15, to accommodate growers impacted by the Midwest floods. With harvested corn acres expected to be the second-highest since the 1940s, growers are encouraged to sign up now for this annual event that highlights the success of their work.
“Last year, nearly 5,000 growers accepted the challenge to test their corn production skill and knowledge by competing with proven winners to reach the ultimate goal of champion,” said David Ward, chairman of NCGA’s Production and Stewardship Action Team. “We’re proud to present this opportunity for our members to explore new ideas and production techniques, while gleaning knowledge to enhance their future yield potential.”
Grower leaders involved in the program stressed how important it was that entrants be aware of changes to the program for this year.
“For those who have accepted the challenge to compete in past contests, there are several important changes to contest regulations,” said Matt Gibson, chairman of NCGA’s Grower Services Action Team. “After each contest, a group of NCGA corn growers review the contest rules and approve changes to make the contest entry and harvest process less complicated while maintaining integrity.”
Ward and Gibson said that entrants need to pay close attention, particularly to the changes pertaining to supervisors who check or re-check the counts. For example, if two supervisors complete the initial check, a re-check is not required for yields less than 300 bushels per acre; whereas initial checks completed by one supervisor requires a re-check at 250 bushels per acre.
Also, one supervisor who completed the initial check may be approved or assigned by NCGA to be one of the two supervisors completing a re-check.