What is in this article?:
- Senate approves farm bill 64-35
- American Farmland Trust
- Specialty Crop Farm Bill Alliance
- Bob Stallman, President, American Farm Bureau Federation
- National Cattlemen’s Beef Association Vice-President Colin Woodall
- National Sustainable agriculture Coalition
- Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack
- National Cotton Council
- National Association of Wheat Growers
- American Soybean Association
• In somewhat of a surprise move the Senate has approved its version of the 2012 farm bill. Response was rapid.
National Cotton Council
“The cotton industry has reservations about a number of provisions in the Senate-passed legislation, but believes the cotton title will facilitate successful resolution of the cotton component of the Brazil WTO dispute.
“The cotton industry looks forward to working with the leaders of the House Agriculture Committee and Cotton Belt members as they develop their version of new farm legislation.
“It is clear U.S. cotton farmers are willing to make a significant contribution to deficit reduction and are committed to reform farm policy in a way that allows them to manage risks that are beyond their control.
“It is important for Congress to complete and the President to sign, in a timely manner, new farm legislation that is balanced, stable and predictable.”