What is in this article?:
- Senate approves farm bill 64-35
- American Farmland Trust
- Specialty Crop Farm Bill Alliance
- Bob Stallman, President, American Farm Bureau Federation
- National Cattlemen’s Beef Association Vice-President Colin Woodall
- National Sustainable agriculture Coalition
- Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack
- National Cotton Council
- National Association of Wheat Growers
- American Soybean Association
• In somewhat of a surprise move the Senate has approved its version of the 2012 farm bill. Response was rapid.
Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack
"I’m very pleased the Senate acted in bipartisan spirit today to approve the Agriculture Reform, Food and Jobs Act.
“I am grateful for the Senate’s progress toward providing a reformed safety net for producers in times of need, supporting agricultural research and trade promotion, honoring World Trade Organization commitments, furthering the bio-based economy, conserving our natural resources, strengthening local and regional food systems, and promoting job growth in rural America.
“As the legislative process moves forward, the Administration will continue to seek policy solutions and savings consistent with the President’s Budget, and we are hopeful that the House of Representatives will produce a bill with those same goals in mind.
“Swift action is needed so that American farmers and ranchers and our rural communities have the certainty they need to continue strengthening the rural and national economy."