The National Cotton Council Washington Operations has provided a listing of House and Senate Leadership for the 111th Congress:
Members of the House Democratic Caucus have elected Rep. John Larson (D-Conn.) as the Chairman of the Caucus to replace Rep. Rahm Emanuel (D-Ill.), and chose Rep. Xavier Becerra (D-Calif.) as the deputy chairman over Rep. Marcy Kaptur (D-Ohio).
Emanuel has been designated as the future White House chief of staff by President-elect Barrack Obama. Larson serves on the trade subcommittee of the House Ways and Means committee and voted against the Central American Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA), but for the Peru-U.S. Free trade agreement.
Becerra also voted for the Peru FTA, and also opposed the CAFTA, while Kaptur has been outspoken critic of free trade agreements. He has served as assistant to the Speaker. Becerra won by a vote of 175 to 67.
But participating members said after the caucus that trade was not a deciding issue in the Becerra election over Kaptur. Instead, they said, a number of factors go into a member's decision, including how much of a leader they perceive a candidate to be, his or her ability to raise money for the party, and a willingness to listen to members' priority issues.
The Caucus also re-elected House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-Md.), and House Whip James Clyburn (D-S.D.) and Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.).
The Senate Democratic Leadership for the 111th Congress:
• Robert C. Byrd, President Pro Tempore.
• Dick Durbin, Assistant Majority Leader.
• Charles E. Schumer, Vice Chair of the Conference.
• Patty Murray, Secretary of the Conference.
• Byron L. Dorgan, Chairman of Policy Committee.
• Debbie Stabenow, Chair of Steering and Outreach Committee.
• Jeff Bingaman, Chairman of Committee Outreach.
• Blanche L. Lincoln, Chair of Rural Outreach.
• Barbara Boxer, Chief Deputy Whip.
• Thomas R. Carper, Deputy Whip.
• Bill Nelson, Deputy Whip.
• Russell D. Feingold, Deputy Whip.