What is in this article?:
- April 26-28 tornado outbreak statistics
- Preliminary estimate
• There were 334 fatalities during the 24-hour-period from 8:00 a.m. April 27 to 8:00 a.m. April 28.
• The largest previous number of tornadoes on record in one event occurred from April 3-4, 1974, with 148 tornadoes.
• The Tuscaloosa-Birmingham tornado during the April 2011 event caused at least 65 fatalities.
NWS’s preliminary estimate is that there have been more than 600 tornadoes thus far during the month of April 2011.
• The previous record number of tornadoes during the month of April was 267 tornadoes set in April 1974.
• The previous record number of tornadoes during any month was 542 tornadoes set in May 2003.
• The average number of tornadoes for the month of April during the past decade is 161.
• The overall monthly average number of tornadoes for the past decade is 106.
2011 Year-to-Date (and record annual) Statistics
NWS’s preliminary estimate is that there have been 835 tornadoes so far this year.
• The previous yearly record number of tornadoes was set in 2004 with 1,817.
• May is historically the most active month for tornadoes.
• The overall yearly average number of tornadoes for the past decade is 1274.