• Understanding the new tax regulations and depreciation rules can deliver significant financial benefits to farmers.
• The webinar will also address Section 179 deductions, taxable losses, and the tax ramifications of bonus depreciation allowances in different states around the country.
TractorLife.com, a website that helps farmers maintain and extend the operating lives of their tractors, will host a free 60-minute webinar to address new depreciation rules and how they will affect farmers’ operations.
To register for the webinar — Nov. 15, 2011 at 2 pm EST — click here.
Roger McEowen, professor of agriculture law and taxation at Iowa State University, and Robert Gunther, CPA and tax specialist with Frost PLLC in Little Rock, Ark., will discuss the new tax regulations passed by Congress last December. During the webinar they will share insights and practical examples about:
• How to take advantage of 2011 machinery purchase tax incentives expiring on Dec. 31, 2011 and Dec. 31, 2012;
• How farmers can handle depreciation and tax ramifications of new and used farm equipment purchased in 2011 and 2012;
• How farmers can use tax law changes to benefit their farming operations; and
• How the depreciation rules work and what might be in store for farmers in 2013.
Understanding these new tax regulations and depreciation rules can deliver significant financial benefits to farmers. For example, there is a 100 percent bonus depreciation for new farm machinery purchased this year, but only a 50 percent bonus depreciation in 2012.
The 100 percent bonus depreciation bonus can be applied to more than just farm machinery. In lieu of machinery, it can be applied to new farm property having a recovery period of 20 years or less.
The webinar will also address Section 179 deductions, taxable losses, and the tax ramifications of bonus depreciation allowances in different states around the country.
Not all states accept the bonus depreciation in its entirety.
McEowen and Gunther both recommend that farmers discuss the new depreciation regulations with their tax consultants before buying new machinery or farm property.
Farmers can get the latest information about 2011 and 2012 depreciation rules and tax regulations by registering now for the Nov. 15 webinar hosted by TractorLife.com.